Skip to content



Why is studying abroad important?
Study abroad enables you to integrate your studies at Merrimack College with a curriculum abroad and gain new perspectives on a variety of subjects. You will exchange ideas and information with students from different cultures and gain an increased awareness of cultural diversity and international issues. Perhaps the most important aspect of study abroad is that you will live in a new and challenging environment that inspires both personal and intellectual growth.

Who or what is CAPA and CIEE?
CAPA and CIEE are both independent organizations that facilitate/administer study abroad programs. Merrimack works with these organizations to ensure program quality, student safety, and much more. Once our office accepts a student, we then give the student the 'OK' to apply to the CAPA or CIEE semester program of their choice. Once accepted, students will then work with CAPA and CIEE on program logistics such as: visa applications, course registration, housing, what to pack, etc. They also provide students with services such as 24/7 emergency services, internship opportunities, and cultural excursions. 

What is the cost of study abroad at Merrimack?
  • Semester Programs: Students attending a semester program pay Merrimack's home tuition costs. This covers tuition, program fees, housing, and international insurance for the semester. There may also be an additional fee depending on the cost of the global program. Please visit the "Costs" tab on your programs brochure for more details. 
  • Short-term, Faculty-Led Programs: These costs vary based on the type of program, its location and the duration. Traditionally, programs fees range from $3,300-6,500. Please visit the "Costs" tab on your programs brochure for more details.
How much personal money will I need to bring?
This is a more difficult question to answer because it really depends on the person. Please take a look at the "Cost" tab on your programs brochure to view some additional personal costs. We also recommend reaching out to one or more of our GEO alumni to learn from their experience living abroad!

How do I pay for study abroad?
  • BILLING: Students are charged the same way as they would if they were on campus. Payments are made to the Merrimack's Bursar's Office per usual. Students are also eligible for payment plans with the Bursar's Office. For additional billing questions, please contact the Bursar's Office: Room 12, Austin Hall,,  978.837.5310.
  • FINANCIAL AID: Merrimack institutional aid is recalculated for the semester off-campus**. When students return to campus, Merrimack aid returns to the on-campus rate. We encourage you to consult the Financial Aid Office early on to see what this recalculation might mean for you. Office of Financial Aid 15B Austin Hall,, 978.837.5186. N.B. NCAA scholarships and Federal Aid are not affected by this recalculation.
  • SCHOLARSHIPS: There are a variety of scholarships available to students who are interested in studying abroad. Please take a look at the "Cost" tab on your programs brochure or the Financial Aid & Scholarship page for more information.
Do I need a certain GPA to study abroad?
The Office of Global Education requires that students:
  • Are in good academic standing.
  • Are in good disciplinary standing.
  • Have a minimum 2.8 GPA for study abroad.
  • Have a minimum 3.4 GPA (or permission from the faculty leader) for faculty-led honors courses. 
I have below a 2.8 GPA, should I still apply?
If your GPA is lower than a 2.8 we ask that you contact our office to schedule an appointment to speak with one of our advisors before starting your application.

Do I need to take a foreign language course abroad?
All Merrimack students studying abroad in a non-English speaking country are required to enroll in a language course. Please visit your programs brochure page for more information.

When/how should I apply for a passport?
There is no better time than now! According to the U.S. Passports and International Travel website, the processing time for a passport is four to six weeks from the submission of the paperwork to the receipt of the passport. In our experience, however, you should begin the paperwork at least three to four months ahead of your departure date. Your paperwork can be submitted at your local post office or town/city hall. Please visit the US Passport & International Travel website to get started!

How do my credits from a semester abroad transfer back?
An official transcript will be sent to the Office of Global Education at the end of your program. Students must earn the equivalent of a “C” or better for credit to be granted. Courses taken abroad will appear as a letter grade on your transcript, but grades are not factored into your GPA. Please note that it can sometimes take months after your program end date for our office to receive your official transcript.